What Causes Foam in a Spa?
So you have foaming in your spa? What causes it? And how do you remove it? The answer, as gross as it sounds is body fats. Body fats create foaming when the filter(s) in your spa are full or if your filters haven’t been cleaned properly.
To prevent foaming, spas with a 50 sq ft filter should be cleaned every 5 spa hours. For example if you have 2 people in your spa for 2.5 hours each the filters should be cleaned.
Spas with a 100 sq ft filter should be cleaned every 10 person hours.
Cleaning filters does not just consist of running the filter under the hose, you will need to use either a 3 day soaking formula or an Instant Filter Klenz.
To learn how to properly clean your filter, please check out our filter cleaning guide.
Foamy water can be caused by the below:
• Filters need cleaning or replacing
• Filter cleaned has not been fully removed from the filter
• Leftover residue from a pipe clean
In the mean time, if you have a foaming issue in your spa there are a few of ways you can fix it.
1. If you are planning on having people over in the spa shortly and you have foaming there is a simple fix. Foam-Go, this product is designed to remove all foaming, but it is a temporary fix. If you add this product to your spa it will only temporarily remove the foam (so it will come back later), as well as it will make your pH and Alkalinity go out of balance.
2. If there is only a little bit of foam in the spa you might be able to shock it out. If using Lithium or Crystal Waters try adding a shock dose of the Boost and run the jets for half an hour. Boost is designed to send body fats straight into the filter so by doing this it will help clear your spa up faster. When the half hour is up, clean out your filter using either Instant Filter Klenz or the 3 day soak formula. Depending on how much foam is in the spa you might need to do this several times until all the foaming is gone.
3. In times when there is an excessive amount of foaming it would be recommended to do a pipe klenz and drain the spa. A pipe klenz should be done on a yearly basis. This will not only remove the foaming but also help keep your water clearer, cut back your chemical usage and make your spa cleaner.